Friday 4 June 2010

EATING DISORDER - A MODERN TREND



In our days today is practically impossible not find someone with some level of body issues, have you notice that? everywhere there is someone complaining that is too skinny or too fat or not muscle enough, we are definitely living the age of access, where any aspect of the human behaviour is use to the fullest, but unfortunately not always in a good way.

Of course the reason of my interest is because I had and I still have issues myself and that I think comes from the way our modern society influenced our parents that influence us and so us to our kids in some kind of vicious circle.Here in England one of major problems is obesity, is not difficult you stop for a quick meal in any fast food chain and see huge families, not huge in number, but in size, when even the little baby that barely got teeth yet is already rounded being feed from balanced nutrition meals based in potato chips, deep fry fat meat and lots of sugar.

Coming from a country where beauty is everything, I lived the other side of the bill, where if you can grab one finger of fat from your stomach you are in a serious social borderline. I grew up with the super model mom, that for me was a reason to be proud and my sister to be ashamed, so my house were a sanctuary of vanity, with treadmills on the living rooms and me knowing more about plastic surgery than geography in my childhood.

Even that as a family we always had the philosophy of doing sports and exercise we never had much of information about nutrition, as someone like my mom always said to have good genes, I never need to worry about what I put inside of my body because it seams I was capable to vanish whatever was bad , keeping my exterior as beautiful as was expected from my beautiful family and society.

Time passed fast, I came to England, where the enormous variety of international food was something i was not very familiar with, but I adored, the fast food here is even more fast and delicious, at least was for me and just the fact I didn’t need to make them was enough reason to add more flavour to this greasy guilty thing.

Not used to be restrained with diets and already in a relationship (yeah be single helps lazy people to be thin) I just moved back to Brazil and found a amazing new group of friends that didn’t care about my appearance or sexual orientation and were all great drinkers and eaters, so I started a great deal of nights in bars having fun ,talking drinking and eating .When I was 28 and after many ultra fat meals, deserts that would kill any diabetic person in the first bite and doses of alcohol that cold dizzy a elephant and no exercise at all, my body finally gave up and so did my Brazilian beauty, I just crossed the borderline ,i succumbed to the dark side , I wasn’t a Jedi but the new chubby boy on the block.

One years and a half and pounds later I decided back to England and start my life here from the very beginning all over again, but this time single, older, fatter. After more than 3 years living the life of the people that I used to judge I decided it was time for me to change my approach to food and my own body issues, but that was just the beginning of a brand new body issue.

I started a intense regime of body training that made me a daily presence in the gym and the winner in counting calories per small meal you ever seen, I did the impossible in a matter of 6 months I went from chubby flab boy to the most fit I ever been in my life(as you see in the picture below)but like everything in my life I tend to cross the line and in just one year later my looks start to fade through my poor diet and a sick look start to show up as my appetite became the last import thing in my life and i was no longer interest in food !

Last December at Christmas we had here one of the most cold winter in years and I was unemployed, completely stressed, depress you named I had it all, so again I turn to food and cigarettes to comfort me, and there it goes I was again on the same path, around Feb this year I decided stop felling sorry for myself and tried to understand the reasons behind my own behaviour, unfortunately there is not a quick fix, and exactly like a drug addiction is something that is always going to be there and from the moment that you forget it may back to hunt you again, is day by day struggle but it not necessary should be seen as bad.

I started to learn about nutrition and I comfortably eat each 3 hours ,I learned to cook ,so I know what im putting inside of my body, after 10 years I finally stop smoking and even that now im in shape and want look my best im not rushing, I will start in the gym again only 3 days a week and i am already doing some bike rides and push-ups.

Find a balance is a hell of a job, is not a fast track to success and like everything in life needs commitment, hard work in the daily bases and definitely should not taken for granted.

Steve Cavalcanti

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I HELPED IN ANY WAY OR JUST TELL ME YOUR STORY AND HOW YOU FINDING YOUR OWN BALANCE IN LIFE !


Im current living in Uk having a affair with my bicycle and we lived happy ever after ( yeah right !! lol )

No comments: